[ad_1]
Former Harambee Stars captain Victor Mugubi Wanyama on Monday, 27th September announced his retirement from international football.
Wanyama, who plays for FC Montreal in the USA, quit international football after having played for Harambee stars for 14 years.
His decision comes after he was omitted from the 2022 World Cup qualifiers squad earlier this month. His last appearance for Stars was in November 2020.
In a statement, the 30-year-old said he had to make the difficult decision so that he can hand over to the next generation.
“We have shared great moments together and I am proud to have been your captain and leader. But all good things must come to an end eventually; and after a long consideration, I have made the really difficult decision to retire from international football,” Wanyama said in a statement.
“Time has come to hand over the team to the next generation so that they too can make their mark and help our country reach even greater heights.”
Wanyama also noted that he would return to help the Kenyan Football Federation in the future.
“I hope to return one day to help the federation off the field but until then, I will still be the Harambee Stars’ biggest supporter and I will be cheering you guys on from the sidelines,” he said.
Wanyama made his international debut in May 2007 at the age of 15 and went on to score seven goals in 64 appearances for the national team.
The soccer star was appointed as the nationals’ team captain in 2013 captaining the team in the Afcon finals in Egypt in 2019.
The post Victor Wanyama Retires From International Football appeared first on LitKenya.
[ad_2]
Source link