Connect with us

Tech

Death toll rises to 10 in Kayole

Published

on


Eight more people have succumbed to Cholera in Kayole, Nairobi County raising the death toll from the waterborne disease to ten in the last two weeks in the locality.

Local administration and officials from County Government of Nairobi have urged locals to exercise caution while handling food and water for home use in ending the spread of the waterborne disease.

According to health officials in Kayole,at least 60 people have been treated from the disease in the last few weeks and another 10 people have succumbed to the disease.

While in a meeting with landlords in Kayole, the area leaders committed to ensure improved hygiene in the locality.

Residents in Kayole want trenches unblocked to avert possible mix of tap water with sewer dirt.

Meanwhile, in Isiolo, the County Department of health services has banned the hawking of food in Isiolo town and its environs indefinitely, following the confirmation of two cases of cholera disease in the area.

The County Deputy Governor James Lowasa who also doubles up as the County Executive Committee Member in charge of health services said the ban is aimed at protecting locals from buying food below the required health standards.

According to Lowasa, the two patients have however already received treatment from the county teaching and referral hospital.

Lowasa further called upon members of the public to observe high levels of hygiene by boiling drinking water and practicing hand washing more often.

Members of the public with diarrhea, vomiting and dehydration symptoms have also been urged to visit health centers for check ups and treatment.

Last week, Murang’a County has reported four more cases of cholera bringing the total confirmed cases to 12.

The County Health Promotion officer Danson Mwangi said the four patients are admitted at Maragua hospital while urging residents to adhere to prevention measures.

Mwangi said that the cases have doubled since the first time reporting, when the county had five cases of people who had contracted the disease.

According Mwangi, initially five cases of cholera had been confirmed in two sub counties since October 11 when the government issued a notice on the outbreak of the disease in some parts of the country.

“Last month, three residents of Gatura area in the neighbouring Gatanga sub county were treated in various local health facilities after exhibiting symptoms similar to those of cholera,” he said adding that the three had just returned from a wedding in Kiambu County when they fell sick.

“Two other cases reported in Ithiru village, Kandara Sub County were also treated and discharged” Mwangi added.

Also read https://www.kbc.co.ke/four-more-cholera-cases-confirmed-in-muranga/



Source link

Comments

comments

Facebook

Trending