Connect with us

General News

Kenya: Disabled Man’s Family Left Homeless After Fire Burns House



A family of five has been left homeless after a fire that razed their three-roomed house in Kinamba village, Kinangop Constituency in Nyandarua County.

Mr Paul Njuguna, a disabled father of three, said he lost everything in the Monday evening fire.

He estimated the loss to be about Sh500,000.

“The mysterious fire consumed everything. I was in the farm with my family when neighbours called to alert me about the fire. We do not know the cause of the fire since nothing was cooking in the kitchen. We have lost everything including a new 3,000-litre water tank worth Sh21,000, uniforms and learning materials for the children,” said Mr Njuguna.


Mr Ndiritu Wambari, a neighbour, was among the first people to arrive at the scene of the fire.

Narrating the incident, Mr Wambari said the house was locked from outside, making it impossible for them to remove anything.

“The fire was emanating from the table room at the back of the house, it was too much for us. The best we could do was to control and stop it from spreading to his younger brother’s adjacent house,” said Mr Wambari.

He said the children had just arrived home from school and joined their parents in the farm.


Speaking at the scene, Kinangop Sub-County Development Officer Maina Gachomba said the incident left the children traumatised, with no clothes, uniforms or learning materials.

Appealing for assistance on behalf of the family, Mr Maina described Mr Njuguna as a hardworking despite his disability.

“I have known the family for a long time and Mr Njuguna is a hardworking man, committed to his family; he has many challenges educating his children and meeting his hospital bills. He has artificial legs but that has not deterred him from doing his work. He deserves support to build a new house and educate his children,” said the development officer.

Mr Maina did not rule out mischief in the fire incident and called for police investigations.

Source link