The C.D.C. said in its alert that “bagged salad mixes purchased at Aldi, Hy-Vee, Jewel-Osco and Walmart do not explain all of the illnesses in this outbreak,” and added that it and the F.D.A. “continue to investigate to determine whether other products are a source of illnesses.”
Donald W. Schaffner, a food microbiologist at Rutgers University in New Jersey, said that the first major outbreak of cyclosporiasis linked to food was reported in the mid-1990s, and that to this day scientists have yet to figure out what caused it.
“It’s likely due to the quality of the water used to irrigate the produce, and it probably has something to do with human fecal contamination of that water, but of course there’s a whole lot of unknowns,” Professor Schaffner said. “Very often with these fresh produce outbreaks, we never learn the definitive cause.”
“But obviously there was some breakdown in the quality chain,” he added. That hundreds of people are getting sick in multiple states, he said, suggests “some rather significant sanitary breakdown in the production of this food.”
Professor Schaffner said this was the third year in a row that there had been a cyclosporiasis outbreak during the warmer months.
Barbara Hines, a spokeswoman for Food Express, said on Sunday that “while all involved are hopeful the outbreak is waning, the exact source of contamination has not yet been identified, and doing so is imperative.”
“Unfortunately, little is still known about Cyclospora and how it is transmitted to fresh produce, its mode of infection or why outbreaks typically occur during spring and summer months,” she said.