The second phase of relocation of the infamous Kachok dumpsite in Kisumu started Tuesday following months of delay.
The exercise, to cost Sh200 million, is being carried out by Naya Holdings Limited, according to the city manager, Mrs Doris Ombara. It is expected to move at least six acres of solid waste that is choking the city.
The dumpsite has been emitting a foul smell and had become an eyesore in the lakeside city. But during his state of the county address last week, the Governor, Peter Anyang Nyong’o, said the relocation was on course and would continue for the next few days.
The exercise had stopped just after it kicked off in mid-November last year with four residents of Kajulu in Kisumu East attempting to stop the relocation in court twice.
But the county has maintained that proper procedures were followed to acquire the quarry and that there was public participation in the process.
Speaking at the dumpsite, Mrs Ombara and Mr Nyong’o exuded confidence that all the waste would be moved to Kajulu.
“We have monitored the wells in Kajulu to ensure there is no seepage and we were later awarded a licence by National Environmental Management Authority (Nema),” said Mrs Ombara.
“In Phase I, we managed to clear 2.45 acres and establish a botanical garden in the space. The site has since been fenced and trees planted in the evacuated area,” she said.