Connect with us

General News

10 families left homeless after fire tragedy in Mbita

Published

on


Several families in Mbita Town were on Tuesday left homeless after their rental houses were razed down by a fire.

The more than 10 families lost their belonging in the fire that broke out at 10 am.

Speaking to the Star, area assistant chief Wilson Makori said they suspect the fire was caused by electricity fault.

Makori said the families lost all their household items.

“The tenants who first spotted fire tried to extinguish it with twigs and water but they were overwhelmed and it spread to other rooms,” Makori said.

He said the incident occurred when most of the residents had left for work.

The affected families led by Jane Akinyi and Peter Otieno said the fire has greatly cost them.

“Most of us don’t have anywhere to live, we also don’t have food,” Akinyi said.

Otieno asked the Homa Bay county government to help them rebuild their houses, saying the ongoing rains in the area has worsened the situation.

“Some of us have young children who sleep in the cold. We appeal for help to enable us to start a new life,” Otieno said.

Click here for the latest political news 

 



Source link

Comments

comments

Facebook

Trending