Officials express concern that worse could be ahead. Many fear a repeat of the mass floods that killed some 600 people last month in central Mozambique. A storm there last month, Cyclone Idai, unleashed rains that caused two rivers to overflow into towns and villages, stranding many others for days on rooftops and trees.
In recent days, northern Mozambique has recorded eight times the average rainfall for the period, according to the World Food Program, and heavy rains were expected to last for at least three more days.
“It is a dramatic situation that may get worse in the coming days,” Octávio de Sousa, a project manager at the charity CARE Mozambique, said from Pemba.
A team from the charity managed on Sunday to gain access to one of the areas hit hardest, Macomia, a district in Cabo Delgado, where 103,000 people were believed to have been affected by the storm, Mr. de Sousa said.
“Affected families have lost everything,” he added. “Their homes have been completely destroyed, and they urgently need assistance.”