Connect with us

General News

KNUT declares teachers’ strike come January 2, 2019

Published

on

Loading...

[ad_1]

Sossion accused TSC of “de-professionalising the teaching profession

KBC_Facebook-728x90

The Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) Secretary General Wilson Sossion says teachers will go on strike from January 2nd to protest the mass transfer of school heads.

Sossion added that parents should find other activities for their children when the schools re-open for the first term.

“This time we are not contesting salary rise but working conditions. TSC is no longer an independent body that reflects the aspirations of the people. We withdrawal labour on 2nd January 2018.” Said Sossion in a press conference.

The reaction follows a move by the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) to transfer more than 3000 Primary and Secondary school heads.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 22163

“Teachers countrywide to strike from January 2 to protest transfers and lack of promotions. We have authoritatively established that the 3094 transfers have not been approved by the appointment board. It is illegal.” Added Sossion.

The Commission says the transfers and deployments have been undertaken to achieve equity in teacher distribution for improved learning outcomes in public schools as well as strengthen the management of some schools following recommendations from the standards and assessment reports.

KNUT Chairman Wycliffe Omuchei also has opposed the move saying it will disrupt families and accused the commission of conducting the transfers without consultation and approval by the appointment board.

Loading...

Elsewhere, teachers from Mt. Kenya region have opposed the new guidelines on management of co-curricular activities directing schools to budget for the activities based on the allocation they get from the government.

They now want the running of co-curricular activities to remain under the management of teachers. Speaking during a meeting for Kuppet officials from 10 counties in Embu town, Laikipia County branch KUPPET Executive Secretary Ndung’u Wangenye faulted the ministry saying the new guidelines lacked stakeholders involvement and are a recipe for discrimination, corruption and nepotism.

Wangenye further asked the Education ministry to stop deducting the activity fees from the Free Day Secondary Education fund.

Last month, the Ministry of Education issued guidelines requiring co-curricular activities be managed at the sub county, counties and regional levels starting next year.

In a circular the ministry directed schools to budget for the activities based on the allocation they get from the government instead of charging parents.

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think




[ad_2]

Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...
Loading...

Facebook

Loading...

Trending