Connect with us


The Standard – Kenya: Gor Mahia knocked out of Cecafa tourney | The Standard




Tapson Kaceba (centre) of Zambia’s Green Eagles challenges Gor Mahia’s Charles Momanyi (left) and Wellingtone Ochiengh during their Cecafa Club Championship quarterfinal match on Wednesday, July 17, 2019, at Kigali Stadium, Rwanda. [Courtesy]

Gor Mahia’s wait to end their 34-year Cecafa Kagame Cup title drought continues after the record Kenyan champions were stunned 2-1 in yesterday’s quarterfinal match at the Kigali Stadium, Rwanda.

Nicholas Kipkirui had given the 2015 runners up the lead only for Tapson Kaseba to cancel out the former Zoo Kericho man’s opener after six minutes.

Shadreck Mulungwe then came off the bench to break K’Ogalo fans’ hearts with the winning goal in the 68th minute.

The victory saw the invited Zambian side secure a semifinals date with Ugandan champions KCCA tomorrow.

KCCA stunned hosts Rayon Sports 2-1 on Tuesday night while holders Azam upset African giants TP Mazembe to sail through.

Get the latest sports news updates. Subscribe to our SMS sports service by texting ‘SPORTS’ to 22840.

The Tanzanians will meet the winner between three-time champions APR and AS Maniema.

Nicholas Kipkirui fired Gor into the lead inside the opening two minutes when he capitalised on a defensive blunder to lift the ball over the stranded Eagles goalkeeper Sebastian Mwange.

The Zambians almost drew level in the sixth minute, but defender Charles Momanyi headed away Spencer Sautu’s dangerous free-kick.

But Eagles’ efforts were rewarded two minutes later when Tapson Kaseba pounced on a loose ball in the box to beat goalkeeper Boniface Oluoch with a powerful low drive.

Moments later, Hashim Sempala made a brilliant tackle to block Kennedy Musonda’s shot as the tempo of the game increased.

Samuel Onyango then earned a free kick for Gor on the right flank in the 22nd minute but his poor delivery couldn’t trouble the Eagles’ defence.

The Zambians responded on the stroke of halftime when Sautu tried to swing over the ball, but Momanyi perfectly cleared it before Gor launched a counter-attack only that Wellington Ochieng’s pass was too heavy for Boniface Otieno.

Samuel Onyango then saw his goal-bound effort blocked by Eagles defender Boniface Sunzu as both teams went to the lockers with the scores tied at 1-1.

Gor nearly regained the lead in the 50th, but Kipkirui shot directly at the keeper before Dickson Ambundo replaced Samuel Onyango.

K’Ogalo could have been punished by Kaseba on the hour mark, but Geoffrey Ochieng recovered fast to deny him before Wellington Ochieng’s header from Kenneth Muguna’s free-kick agonisingly went wide.

Shadreck Mulungwe made an instant impact, rounding off Gor defender to score Eagles’ second goal in the 68th minute, just eight minutes after coming on for Musonda.

Gor coach reacted by bringing on Tobias Otieno for Lawrence Juma. Wellington Ochieng forced a fine save from the keeper as the Kenyan champions pushed for an equaliser.

The Zambians, however, held their nerve to win the match and progress to the last four.

Source link