The office of the Director of Public Prosecutions is set to amend charges of manslaughter to murder charges against city lawyer Assa Nyakundi.
The DPP sought approval from a Kiambu Court to amend the charges when the case comes up for mention on the 10th of May.
This follows revelations by the DCI of an alleged plot to cover up the facts in the case. The DCI has since suspended two investigating officers over the issue.
Kiambu Senior Principal Magistrate Ms Teresa Nyangena has allowed the prosecution to withdraw the case in which lawyer Assa Nyakundi had been charged with manslaughter following the shooting of his son.
Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 22163
State Counsel Stella Bosibori told the court that the office of DPP had ordered a review of the file but pleaded with the court to retain the mentioned date of May 10, 2019.
DCI boss George Kinoti had indicated that some officers who had been assigned the case were suspected to have been involved in an attempted cover-up of the murder case and called for an inquiry into the matter.
Nyakundi had earlier told police that on March 17, 2019, he was trying to holster his firearm while in the car when he accidentally fired shooting his son Joseph Bogonko in the chest killing him.
He is currently out on a Ksh. 300,000 cash bail after having his charge reduced from murder to manslaughter.