Connect with us

Sports

IOC says no ‘ideal’ solution for Olympics as athletes voice virus concerns

Published

on

[ad_1]

International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach says the organisation is committed to holding the Games on time © AFP / Fabrice COFFRINI

LAUSANNE, Switzerland, Mar 18 – Olympic chiefs acknowledged Wednesday there was no “ideal” solution to staging the Tokyo Olympics in response to a growing number of athletes expressing concern as the coronavirus pandemic swept the globe.

Football’s European Championship and the Copa America have been postponed for a year, but the International Olympic Committee says it is “fully committed” to holding the Games from July 24 as scheduled.

“This is an exceptional situation which requires exceptional solutions,” an IOC spokesperson said after criticism from top athletes that they would be forced to take health risks should the Games go ahead.

“The IOC is committed to finding a solution with the least negative impact for the athletes, while protecting the integrity of the competition and the athletes’ health,” the spokesperson continued.

“No solution will be ideal in this situation, and this is why we are counting on the responsibility and solidarity of the athletes.”

Olympic pole vault champion Katerina Stefanidi and Britain’s world champion heptathlete Katarina Johnson-Thompson both voiced concerns at the IOC’s stance.

Stefanidi, one of Greece’s most prominent athletes, was scheduled to hand the ceremonial flame to Japanese officials before the Greek leg of the torch relay was scrapped over COVID-19, which has more than 200,000 cases and 8,092 deaths across 150 countries and territories as of 1300 GMT Wednesday.

“The IOC wants us to keep risking our health, our family’s health and public health to train every day?” Stefanidi tweeted.

“You are putting us in danger right now, today, not in 4 months.”

– ‘Zero risk consideration’ –

On Tuesday, minutes before the IOC statement that it was pressing ahead with its preparations, Euro 2020 was delayed for a year, bowing to the crisis that has paralysed Europe and drastically curtailed international travel.

Olympic qualifying tournaments are among the swathe of sports events that have been cancelled or postponed. Only 57 percent of athletes have booked their places so far.

“It’s unbelievable,” said Stefanidi. “What about team sports that have to train together? What about swimming? What about gymnastics, that they touch the same objects?

“There is zero consideration of the risk they are putting us in right now.”

Greece’s Katerina Stefanidi said training for the Olympics was putting athletes in danger © AFP / Ben STANSALL

French swimming federation president Gilles Sezionale expressed his disappointment at the IOC “evoking the possible continuation of the Games”.

“I am devastated by so many inconsistencies when we should today devote ourselves solely to the epidemic to save lives!”

Johnson-Thompson, who won her multi-event world title in Doha in October, criticised the IOC for telling athletes to train “as best they can”, saying it was at odds with stringent government health measures.

“I feel under pressure to train and keep the same routine which is impossible,” she wrote on Twitter.

“It’s difficult (to) approach the season when everything has changed in the lead-up apart from the ultimate deadline,” added the Briton.

– ‘Bigger than the Olympics’ –

Doubts are increasingly being expressed about holding the Olympics in its current slot, after the outbreak that first exploded in China spread to Asia and then worldwide.

Britain’s Katarina Johnson-Thompson said her training and competition schedule had been seriously disrupted © AFP / Giuseppe CACACE

On Wednesday an Olympic gymnastics qualifier in Tokyo, doubling as a test event, became the latest competition to be cancelled.

A day earlier, the deputy head of Japan’s Olympic committee said he had tested positive for coronavirus.

But the IOC insisted “there is no need for any drastic decisions at this stage”, adding that “any speculation at this moment would be counter-productive”.

Hayley Wickenheiser, a Canadian IOC member with four ice hockey gold medals, warned “this crisis is bigger than even the Olympics”.

“From an athlete perspective, I can only imagine and try to empathise with the anxiety and heartbreak athletes are feeling right now,” she said in a statement.

“The uncertainty of not knowing where you’re going to train tomorrow as facilities close and qualification events are cancelled all over the world would be terrible if you’ve been training your whole life for this.”

Wickenheiser added: “I think the IOC insisting this will move ahead, with such conviction, is insensitive and irresponsible given the state of humanity.”

France’s 110m hurdler Pascal Martinot-Lagarde, a European champion and world bronze medallist who finished fourth at the 2016 Rio Olympics, told AFP a postponement was the only fair solution.

“We’re not all in the same boat, there are countries which are less affected than others. In some countries athletes can train normally while we can’t even access our training track,” he said.

“We are not on an equal footing when it comes to preparation. The Games should be postponed until the end of 2020, not next year.”

Germany’s six-time Olympic dressage gold medallist Isabell Werth meanwhile said not talking about a potential postponement was “an incomprehensible and unjustifiable delaying tactic by the IOC and the Japanese”.

(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)

%thecontent%

Comments

%sidebar%
","opedarticle":"","sidead1":"ff","sidead2":"","sidead3":"","homestory":"

%title%

%game%%date%
Read More
","taxonomyitem":"

%title%

%game%%date%
Read More
","fixtureitem":"
%name1%
%score1%
VS
%score2%
%name2%
%time%
","home":"
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn

More Headlines

rn
rn
rn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn
rn
rn

rn Ibrahimovic launches fundraiser for Italyrn

rn
rn Footballrn rn rn rn rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn
rn
rn

rn Mikel leaves Turkish team over virus fearsrn

rn
rn rn rn rn 3 hours ago rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn
rn
rn

rn Liverpool’s Milner goes viral, snaps coronavirus gloomrn

rn
rn Footballrn rn rn rn 5 hours ago rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn

All Sports

rn
trn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn

Cancelling football season could cost Europe’s top clubs Sh448 billion

rn
rn rn Footballrn rn Wednesday, 18th Mar 2020rn rn
rn
rn
rn Read Morern
rn rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn

Germany players donate Sh283 million to fight virus

rn
rn rn Footballrn rn Wednesday, 18th Mar 2020rn rn
rn
rn
rn Read Morern
rn rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn

Ibrahimovic launches fundraiser for Italy

rn
rn rn Footballrn rn Wednesday, 18th Mar 2020rn rn
rn
rn
rn Read Morern
rn rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn

IOC says no ‘ideal’ solution for Olympics as athletes voice virus concerns

rn
rn rn Gamern rn Wednesday, 18th Mar 2020rn rn
rn
rn
rn Read Morern
rn rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn

Mikel leaves Turkish team over virus fears

rn
rn rn rn rn Wednesday, 18th Mar 2020rn rn
rn
rn
rn Read Morern
rn rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn

Poll Question

rn
rn
nt
ntt

ntt

ntt

WILL ARSENAL FINISH TOP FOUR IN 2019/20 EPL SEASON?

    ntt
  • ntt
  • ntt

View Results

nt
n
n
Loading ... Loading ...
n rn
rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn

Liverpool’s Milner goes viral, snaps coronavirus gloom

rn
rn rn Footballrn rn Wednesday, 18th Mar 2020rn rn
rn
rn
rn Read Morern
rn rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn

South African cricketers in self-isolation

rn
rn rn Cricketrn rn Wednesday, 18th Mar 2020rn rn
rn
rn
rn Read Morern
rn rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn

IOC says no ‘ideal’ solution for Tokyo Olympics as athletes voice virus concerns

rn
rn rn Gamern rn Wednesday, 18th Mar 2020rn rn
rn
rn
rn Read Morern
rn rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn

Struggling Super Rugby pushed towards oblivion by virus crisis

rn
rn rn Rugbyrn rn Wednesday, 18th Mar 2020rn rn
rn
rn
rn Read Morern
rn rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn

US PGA Championship called off amid coronavirus pandemic

rn
rn rn Golfrn rn Wednesday, 18th Mar 2020rn rn
rn
rn
rn Read Morern
rn rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn
rn

Sponsored

rn
rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn rn
rn
rn

Featured

rn
rn
rn
rn
rn AGENCE FRANCE PRESSErn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn
rn AGENCE FRANCE PRESSErn
rn rn
rn
rn AGENCE FRANCE PRESSErn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn
rn AGENCE FRANCE PRESSErn
rn
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn
rn AGENCE FRANCE PRESSErn
rn rn
rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rnttt","sidebar":"
rn rn rn rn
rn
rn rn
rn
rntrn rn rn rn rn
","articleerror":"

Oops...Something broke on our end

"},"messages":{"accessdenied":"Access to the account has been denied ","httperror":"Oops, something went wrong...please try again","contactgoogle":"Contacting Google","firsttime":"Seems this is your first time with this signin system. Please wait as we get your name","signinsuccess":"Cool. You're now signed in. This signin will close automatically now","pendingrequest":"Still communicating with the server","signedout":"Seems you were signed out. Try submitting again after you've been signed in","trackingerror":"Couldn't track Analytics","xhrnotconfigured":"To webmaster: Please confirm the xhr/ajax receptor is configured on the server","loadmore":"Load more stories"}}; /* ]]> */


[ad_2]

Source link

Comments

comments

Up Next

Inside SDT’s ruling that sent shockwaves in local football circles

Don't Miss

The Standard – Kenya: Levy says coronavirus is the ‘biggest challenge’ of his Spurs reign | The Standard

The Kenyan Digest Team

Facebook

Trending