Sports
Resumption of sporting activities looming?
Published
5 years agoon
[ad_1]

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Monday, June 6 announced the phased re-opening of the country, as he seeks to revive the economy following the disaster brought about by the novel coronavirus.
Speaking during an address at State House Nairobi, Uhuru emphasised the need for counties to meet “irreducible minimums”, revealing the country has made significant progress in levels of preparedness to tackle COVID-19 patients.
SEE ALSO: PHOTOS: President Uhuru gives KPL club new team bus, donates Sh2m
Uhuru, however, warned Kenyans of the risk they now face without previously imposed government restrictions, asking for careful positivity.
“By reopening, we must be cognisant of the fact that we are much more at risk when the restrictions were in place. We must exercise cautious optimism. We have not yet met the irreducible minimums 100 per cent. However, we have reached a reasonable level of preparedness across our counties,” President Uhuru said.
SEE ALSO: Why national team star Guchu’s rise to the top has not been smooth
The President also revealed the government will review interactions among people during this period, and made it clear should the number of covid-19 cases spike, the country would be forced to revert to lockdown.
“We shall review interactions for 21 days and if they spike, we will lock down,” he said.
SEE ALSO: Bad blood between Kipsang and AK not good for our sport
Uhuru announcement comes hours after the country recorded the highest number of coronavirus cases – 389.
On April 6th, Uhuru announced the cessation of movement in and out of Nairobi, Mombasa, Kwale and Kilifi counties. This came after report revealed Nairobi accounted for 82 per cent of the total infections while the Coastal counties account for 14 per cent – hence the order.
“To contain and limit the spread of the disease to other parts of the country, the National Security Council has sanctioned and caused the issuance of the following additional measures, as follows: That there shall be a cessation of all movement by road, rail or air in and out,” President Uhuru announced.
Uhuru also announced restrictions would remain in place for social/political gatherings, bars as well as weddings for a further 21 days.
SO WHEN DOES SPORT RETURN?
Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed on July 1 appointed an Advisory Committee meant will draw up protocols required for the resumption of sporting activities in the country.

Sporting activities in Kenya were halted in March as the nation took steps to stop the spread of covid-19 that has wreaked havoc around the world.
The committee will comprises of senior officials from the Ministry of Sports, Culture and Heritage and its agencies, experienced federation managers, medics and also representatives.
In a statement released on Tuesday, the CS said the committee, which will be headed by the Chief Administrative Secretary in the Ministry, Hon. Hassan Noor Hassan, is expected to engage all key stakeholders and collect their views on ideal protocols to be put in place before resumption of sports activities.
“Members are expected to recommend protocols that should be applied ahead of permitting resumption of sports, review and make recommendations on any other matter that may affect resumption of
sporting activities,” the Cabinet Secretary said.
The Committee’s Terms of Reference also include a review of global trends in resuming of sporting activities and exploring the possibility of the resumption of sports activities in the country.
“We are grateful to the Cabinet Secretary for Health, Hon. Mutahi Kagwe for assigning two senior officers to support the Ministry draft the resumption of Sports protocols. I call upon all stakeholders to engage with the Committee as and when they are called upon to do so and urge their indulgence to pause any activities until the protocols have been finalised and issued, ” CS Amina added.
A report from the team is expected to be presented to the Cabinet Secretary by July 10, 2020.
Below are the Members of the Advisory Committee:
Hon. Hassan Noor Hassan – Chief Administrative Secretary, Ministry of
Sports, Culture and Heritage, Chairperson,
Mr. Pius Metto, Director General, Sports Kenya,
Ms. Rose Wachuka, Policy Advisor, Ministry of Sports, Culture and
Heritage
Dr. Walter Ongeti, Strategy Advisor, Ministry of Sports, Culture and Heritage
Mr. Japson Gerald Gitonga. Ag. Commissioner of Sports, Ministry of Sports, Culture and Heritage
Ms. Agnes Oluoch, President National Paralympic Committee of Kenya,
Dr. Naim Bilal, CEO, Kenya Broadcasting Corporation,
Mr. Elias Makori, Editor (Sports), Nation Media Group,
Dr. Wycliffe Makanga, Sports Medic,
Dr. Doreen Odhiambo, Ag. CEO Kenya Academy of Sports,
Dr. Japhter Rugut, CEO, Anti-Doping Agency of Kenya,
Ms. Rose Wasike, Registrar of Sports,
Mr. Barnabas Korir, Athletics Kenya
Mr. Francis Mutuku, Secretary General NOC-K,
Ms. Christine Mangwana, Head of Legal Ministry of Sports (Secretary),
Mr. Kweya G. Obed Matuli, Sports research scientist
Dr James Ochola Ondiege, Sports Medic
Ms Sylvia Kamau, Sports expert
Mr. James Odongo, Head of Planning, State Department of Sports
Mr. Francis Odera, Principal Accountant, State Department of Sports
Mr. Felix Ochieng, Administrator
Mr. Gamaliel Omondi, Ministry of Health Representative
Mr. Festus Karani, Ministry of Health Representative
[ad_2]
Source link
Comments
The Kenyan Digest Team

You may like
Rayvanny officially leaves Diamond’s WCB Wasafi after 6 years

Raila Odinga is the most popular presidential candidate, a survey released by Infotrak

Newly-crowned Kenyan Wimbledon champion Angella Okutoyi would like to play against American star Serena Williams

The Mombasa High Court has ordered IEBC to clear Sonko to run for the Mombasa governorship.

A new born baby was pulled out of latrine in Mururi.

Kenyan Rapper Colonel Mustafa has leveled fresh accusations against his ex-girlfriend Katoto.

Okutoyi and Nijkamp qualify for Wimbledon Open final

Fans will have to brace themselves for a sober 90 minutes, the Gulf Arab state announces.

Angola’s longest ruler dos Santos dies at 79
