Connect with us

General News

Govt directs cessation of movement in Eastleigh and Old Town

Published

on

 

“If you have a colleague in Eastleigh don’t let them come to stay with you if they have not taken a test. I request people to take responsibility.” CS Kagwe

The government has declared the cessation of movement in and out of Eastleigh and Old Town area in Mombasa, following increased cases of COVID-19 effective today (Wednesday) 7pm for 15 days.

Closure of markets and eateries within those two areas were also announced.

In a press briefing on Wednesday, this decision was met after government agencies agreed that the two areas are fast becoming Covid-19 epicenters in the country, and therefore the need to act swiftly.

“Public transportation is not allowed to go into the two areas given. Cessation of movement is to protect people within those areas.” Said Kagwe.

The number of coronavirus cases in the country has now risen to 582 after recording 47 new cases for a period of 24 hours.

Out the 47 new cases, 32 are from Mombasa, 11 from Nairobi, two from Busia and one each in Kiambu and Kwale.

Majority of the cases in Mombasa were recorded in Old Town while the ones in Nairobi were recorded in Eastleigh areas.

Kagwe said two more patients had succumbed to the disease raising the total number of fatalities to 26. The two patients passed away at their homes in Mombasa.

The CS further noted that eight more patients had been discharged raising the number of recoveries so far to 190 and that 122 patients are admitted in hospitals countrywide.

Comments

comments

Facebook

Trending